Sunday, January 20, 2013

Gown Hunt - Part 2!

Time to actually hunt the gown of my dreams after just looking at pictures =D

1. Find part of your city where the bridal shops are clustered (in Singapore, it's Delfi Orchard and Tanjong Pagar road)
2. Bring a girlfriend whose fashion opinion you trust (a lovely friend of mine volunteered her time and company! yay!)
3. Bring a good camera phone and be prepared to snap discreetly. This is useful as reference if finally you decide to do a made-to-measure gown.

Note: In some of the pictures below, the gown looks rather loose.. That's because bridal gowns are impossible to wear yourself (they have to be tied/ zipped at the back) and I had to quickly snap before the attendant came in to help me wear the gown!



Please forgive the narcissism of putting so many pics of myself in dress.. Just thought that it could be a reference for another Singaporean bride-to-be who wants to get married in a short gown. Somehow, getting married in short gown is not so common in Singapore.. some of the bridal boutique attendants told me ,"are you sure you want short gown?" "Church wedding can wear short gown meh? Already ask the priest?" and the most common, "Short gown? You mean you're looking for ROM gown? no? wedding dress? short? really?"

*ROM gown: short white gown ladies wear if they are going to just do solemnization without reception.. i.e just sign on the marriage certificate only, no party.

That aside, I managed some good finds!

 More of a cocktail dress, but perhaps I can have one made in white..

 Something like this for a tea ceremony dress?

 Love material for this one..

 Nice embroidery, bad cut

 Don't think so..

 Tried a long one, just to confirm my theory that I'd 'drown' in a long dress.. Yep, I drowned...

 Love this one too! Cute!









 Finally found one with the style I want, but still not satisfied with the cut


Beautiful embroidery.. Would prefer gold hues as it will be more 'warm'

I took two and a half days to trawl around 20 bridal boutiques and try on more than 40 dresses.. hahaha.. Kudos to my girlfriend that continued to 'rah-rah' me and got me excited again when I was feeling bored of trying out dresses >< In the end, I decided to do a made-to-measure gown incorporating the components of some gowns I really like... to create a gown I'd totally love! The good thing is, a short gown costs so much less even to tailor from scratch. For the style I want, which is short in front with a little bit of train, it costs upwards of $800. No way you can get that with a long gown, made-to-measure.

Have settled on a bridal boutique whose dresses I found to be of really good cuts -French bridal in Tanjong Pagar. Plus, their tailor/designer is very friendly and made it great fun to design the dress together with her =D

2 comments:

  1. I like the third one down, and the long one actually looks good on you! You didn't really drown! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your all collection of bridesmaid dresses .that's are really nice.
    Thanks
    For more information please visit here bridesmaid dresses singapore .

    ReplyDelete