Thursday, November 29, 2012

How to cut wedding cost (spend on the things that really matter!!)

In the previous post I wrote about wedding cost coming from superfluous things, so here's my tip on focusing on what really matters in a wedding =)

To cut : (yeah baby yeah!)
1. Studio wedding photos

 
Especially overseas where you also have to pay to transport the photographer ><
I am just not excited on spending $3000 to $5000 posing around. (My fiance is lucky to have me, yes) Maybe it's because we both prefer candid photos, maybe because we get more kick from using tripod to take our own romantic photos..

 ... like this ...

No, really, we get a kick out of that.. Funny thing is, it's more our parents, relatives, friends that ask us, "Oh? Why not take pre-wed photos? I mean, it's what you should do right?" or from my mom, "Must take! For posterity!" I doubt my kids would love huge pictures of their parents looking into the distance, all decked up articially.. If we want to embarrass them, might as well show them pictures of their parents being all young, wild, and carefree! Only the PG-rated ones though. Heh.

2. Reception cost
We choose to hold a lunch reception instead of dinner, as we don't think it's worth paying much more just for a difference in timing. Plus, our guests can then eat their fill for lunch AND dinner ;p We choose to have buffet reception, again so guests can 'customize' how much/ little they want to take of each dish, but we're lucky our parents don't mind that at all and not demand a sit-down banquet.
Also, we let the quality and type of the food be our guide instead of how posh the surrounding is.

3. Wedding gown
Yes, literally, cut it short! I'm choosing to wear a short gown and the price to buy a short made-to-measure gown is lower than to RENT a long gown. For the non-Singaporeans (and the single carefree guys and girls), to rent (RENT! As in, wear for a few hours then return and never see it again) a wedding gown cost anywhere from $1500 to $4000. No kidding. To rent a short gown, meanwhile, cost anywhere between $300 to $600, and to tailor it to keep around $800 to $1200. Mine comes with a detachable short train to satisfy FMIL in the church wedding =) Of course this tip is not everyone, but well for petite me, no point drowning in layers upon layers of fabric and risk tripping on the hem of my own gown ><

4. Decorations
Nowadays, simple decorations can also look chic and 'wow'. Heck, there's a whole website dedicated to it: http://www.easy-wedding-centerpieces.com/
Not saying, make the place look shabby. The architect in me totally against that. Am saying, of all the weddings I attended since young, really, I don't remember how the flowers look like. So instead of having lush arrangements in 'safe' colors like pink, or red,  have simple ones but in bolder color. (Thinking of.. green and fuchsia? ) More impact, less fuss.

5. Wedding favors
How many of us really keep and use wedding favors beyond those short "oh-this-is-co-cute!" moments? Not me.. That's why we're thinking of either giving out something edible or doing away with it altogether. Sadly this is one of those "that's just how weddings are done" things and no one really thinks of whether it's necessary, or even nice, and the huge amounts of clutter created.

6. Other wedding frills
To the possible horror of some, no we're not gonna have cute little children dressed in matching outfits, heart-shaped ring pillow, feather pen etc etc.. Again, I don't see how that would make my guests have more fun and to be honest I find them *ahem* rather tacky.. so, cut!



3 comments:

  1. whens ur wedding day?? Im excited for u too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! =) it'll be 3rd August, the last saturday before ghost month ><
    thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Cherilyn, i am from Singapore and i have been in relationship with my boyfriend for 1 year now and we were planning to get married soon and all of a sudden he left me for another girl, i really love this guy and never can imagine life without him. I further tried all my best to get him back but all my effort to get him back in my life did not work out. It was on this faithful day, i came across some comments on a website about this great spell caster called Priest Ajigar, so many testimonies that he help them to renew their relationship and bring their ex back, i had to contact him because he was my last hope. I contacted him through his email and he assured me that in three days time my boyfriend is going to leave the other girl and come back to me and it was a very great surprise to see my boyfriend coming back to me after three days the spell was done. I am so very happy today that he came back to me and i achieved this with the help of Priest Ajigar spell and if you need his help to get your love back then i will advice you email him too for help on (priestajigarspells@live.com)

    ReplyDelete