Thursday, November 29, 2012

What to splurge on in a wedding

An interesting discussion here on whether brides regret spending so much on the wedding.

Well, a wedding is still, after all, kind of like throwing the bash of your life.. Some expenses gonna be involved.. Here are the things that fiance and I discussed we'll get the most out of:



1. Wedding rings
This one's cute.. We discussed that we want something comfy and durable and I didn't think much of it, going so far as to suggest steel rings haha.. The fiance wanted something more proper and with this conversation, he won the battle fair and square:


He wanted yellow gold and I wanted rose gold.. Seriously though after thinking about it, he's probably gonna have this one ring in life.. and me, other than the 1st anniversary ring, I have the proposal ring, going to have the wedding ring, and probably anniversary rings every 5 years afer that ;p (No, Fiance, I'm joking!). So yeah, leave it to the man.

2. Photographers
Though some brides say, "Wah take photos only charge so much!", but I think splurging for professional photographers on the wedding day itself (as opposed to studio photoshoot), is worth it. For one, actual day photographers gotta have certain standard of skills to be able to capture moments worth capturing in the middle of so many things going on throughout the wedding.. and, they have to capture it well, from good angles. They have lots of professional equipments they gotta lug around, and do spend time editing and enhancing each individual photos. So, get a good one with a style you like. I admit I am a demanding customer who instantly get turned off if I only see 'standard' photos from the portfolio "Everybody face the camera!", and things like photos they say already edited but I still see lousy exposure or constrast, or small bits cut off here and there. Really look around and see lots of portfolios, that helps. I managed to find 2 photographers whose style I love as well as fits my budget.

3. Food
Not much argument here.. Good food in good company makes for good wedding! Now imagine what GREAT food can do..

4. Entertainment
Fortunately, this can still be done on a budget. In Indonesia, what we do is ask relatives/ friends to contribute items. I think more and more couples do try to provide fun things for people to do. Photobooths getting more popular, people can sketch the bride and groom, live band, magicians etc.

5. Time
As in, spend more time with the guest. I came across what a bride wrote: "Say, you are going to spend 4 minutes chatting with each guest. If you have 100 guests, that's around 6.5 hours.. it's just not gonna happen. So really, choose who's gonna be in your wedding." Especially for those posh but boring hotel weddings, I think too often guests just come, give angpao, eat, take table photo, go home.. No sense of the wedding being really personal and the couple really feeling honored that one has taken time to come to the wedding. Still thinking how to get around this problem (we do have lotsa people we care about! and some solutions we came out with includes becoming the MCs ourselves.. Then we can talk to everyone!) but when doing our guest list, we think, is this person just an acquaintance? Or will we really be excited to talk to him/ her even with pressing time?


No comments:

Post a Comment