Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Headaches of Venue Hunting

To get married, a woman needs a groom, yes, but the next important thing is the venue. And here in Singapore, it's this venue problem that means you have to plan your wedding at least a year beforehand. Enquiring here and there, some venues do get booked up fast! (e.g Serangoon CC is very popular for Malay weddings, St. Francis Xavier church very popular for solemnization)

My wish is to get married at a venue like this:


Since that does not seem to be possible, well, let's forget the wish and get on with actual venue hunting!

Our wedding is going to have 2 parts, church wedding and lunch reception, me and Fiance originally thought Toa Payoh CC will be the perfect as the church and CC (for lunch reception) is just side-by-side.


The fiance even very excitedly told me, "To show my sincerity, I will carry you with my own hands from the church to the CC!" (Originally was supposed to be from my house to the church.. but after a test run.. well.. anyway he still has 8 months to train his biceps ;p )

So, we went to enquire on the availability.

Me: "Hello, we would like to ask if the multi purpose hall is available for hire for wedding reception on Saturday, 27 July next year, for wedding reception?"
CC staff: "Oh sure, let me check for you... hmm.. sorry but on that day we have a line-dancing event.."

What about the week after, 3 August? There's a CC event. The week before, 21 July? Some racial harmony event. The week before that? Another line dancing. In fact, the CC has very limited availability and even if we book that, there's no guarantee everything will go smoothly as, if some minister chooses to hold an event on that exact day, it will be given priority.

Haih. Scrap the idea of getting married in CC if you are eyeing a central one. As far as my enquiries go, less centralized CCs like Punggol, Anchorvale, Serangoon are still okay though they also will prioritize community events. (Leave a comment if would like to know prices) A small discussion ensues with Fiance.. "Wha, like that, no wonder Sg getting less babies! Aunties and uncles line dancing more important letting people get married and make babies!"

Oh well, in the end we decided to use restaurants or hotels, with the advantage that we don't have to worry about table set up, caterers, decorations and waiters. (FYI it costs $17 to rent a table with table cloth, $1 for plastic chairs, $6 for cushion chairs).

The hunt continues, with our criterias being:
1. A space that allows 250 - 270 pax
2. Space and stage allowing capoeira performance and activities
3. Cost not more than $650 per table (This instantly narrows down the search a lot!)
4. Location not too 'ulu', near a Catholic church if possible

Some info and good links on wedding venus in sg:
7 ways to cut your wedding venue cost in Singapore
Singapore wedding venue directory
Singapore wedding banquet price list 
(For the last one, you have to be a member but I find it very easy and worth it as the discussions have a lot of recommendations and info. Even grooms-to-be register!)

3 comments:

  1. Hi there! :)

    I found your blog through PerfectWeddings forum. I truly appreciate your articles!
    I am a BTB next year December. We are looking at around 12/13 tables and I came up with a list :
    - Orchid Country Club
    - Hotel Re!
    - Riverview Hotel
    - Peach Garden @ Hotel Miramar
    - Regent Hotel
    - Carlton Hotel
    - Pan Pacific Orchard
    - Sheraton Towers
    - Grand Copthorne Waterfront
    - Fullerton

    I believe you have been also doing much research here and there. So just wondering if you have any reviews on the venues I listed above? We are currently residing in the US so evaluating in person will be tough(although we might have to ask one of our relatives to inspect for us at the end). We would like to narrow down to say 3 top choices and then choose from there.

    Any reviews will be much appreciated!

    Thank you in advance!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jesslyn!
    First off, congratz on the engagement! =D Wow the venues in your list varies greatly in terms of pricing & ambience.. if you can suggest some further info I might be able to help further..
    1. Pricing
    e.g Orchid country club & fullerton hotel has a difference of almost $600 per table. What's a price range you are comfy with? Might wanna check this link:
    http://singaporebrides.com/wedding_banquet_pricelist.php

    2. Accessibility
    I've been to Hotel Re, yep, it's not that accessible as your guests have to go up a hill haha.. but there's a direct bus to MRT. Orchid country club is also not very accessible, so if there are guests coming by public transport this is a problem. Places like Pan Pac Orchard, Fullerton are very close to MRT & bus stops. So how important is accessibility for you? most guests arrive by private cars?

    3. Type of food & ambience
    e.g Peach Garden at Miramar obviously feels very 'Chinese'.. for my wedding I want more of an international food & feel =) Riverview hotel has a river terrace (just nice for your number of tables!), so it's a different ambience again. The better hotels obviously will feel more grand.

    Am uploading the hotel brochures that I have soon, you'll be able to see Hotel Re & Riverview. Personal opinion, Riverview ballroom not that great, feels old, if you use the River Terrace it's better, and they do have one of the cheapest packages around.
    Hotel Re is one of my shortlisted hotels but decided against that in the end as there are hotels with better accessibility and value. However if decorations are important to you, IMHO they do very chic and unique flower arrangements.

    Not considering other newer hotels like Hotel M and Klapsons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Cherilyn, i am from Singapore and i have been in relationship with my boyfriend for 1 year now and we were planning to get married soon and all of a sudden he left me for another girl, i really love this guy and never can imagine life without him. I further tried all my best to get him back but all my effort to get him back in my life did not work out. It was on this faithful day, i came across some comments on a website about this great spell caster called Priest Ajigar, so many testimonies that he help them to renew their relationship and bring their ex back, i had to contact him because he was my last hope. I contacted him through his email and he assured me that in three days time my boyfriend is going to leave the other girl and come back to me and it was a very great surprise to see my boyfriend coming back to me after three days the spell was done. I am so very happy today that he came back to me and i achieved this with the help of Priest Ajigar spell and if you need his help to get your love back then i will advice you email him too for help on (priestajigarspells@live.com)

    ReplyDelete